Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Video Card Stress Testing
    Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 1:13am
This is an extention of the Technical Support Guide found here

Furmark will push your video card to its maximum temp, its a great way to quick test for stability problems too.

As with any other benchmark, make sure you close any other programs.

Set the "Standard sizes" to your screen's native/max resolution. The higher you set MSAA, the more you will stress the card, 4 or 8 is fine, set it to the max if you really want to push your card. Start after you have these settings right and pay very close attention to the temperatures, this program will shoot your temperatures through the roof so be very careful, especially if your video card is overclocked.
For a frame of reference, the gtx 470 and 480 should not get to 100c, most other cards should stay under 90c to be safe, but of course: the lower the better.

You need to let this test run for about 2 hours, the more the better, probably 4 hours maximum. Watch the screen for any kind of glitching or artifacting. It should look very smooth and fluid.

If you see problems and your video card is overclocked, you need to back down the overclock settings, if you do not know how to, post in the Performance/Overclocking section or contact DSO for specific help.

If you do not see any problems and the temperatures look fine, your video card should be ok. Furmark is not the best video stablility test, passing this test does not mean your video card is 100% stable, but it is a good way to troubleshoot.

If you see problems and your video card is NOT overclocked, you need to contact DSO for specific help. You can reach Tech Support at http://digitalstormonline.com/customerservice.asp

Edited by !ender_ - 17 Sep 2010 at 6:13pm
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 8:48am
Kombuster might be a better fit for a larger blanket of GPU's? just a suggestion... also make sure post processing is enabled. I have passed 5 hours without it, and failed in less than 1 minute with it selected.
2 hours would be the minimum time I would run a GPU stress test. 4 hours preferred. Some people game for a very long period at a time, and it is very helpful to simulate that, because heat continually will build up slowly over a several hour period.
I really like these posts, one more question. Are you going to keep updating the links? that would be the key to keep this a great thing! Big%20Smile
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 8:59am
wierd i thought put a screenshot there yesterday and its not there now.. i must have forgotten to actually include it.. thats what i get for posting at 1 AM rofl

I plan to update them and I was actually going to email you just now but since we're here.. Furmark is appearently what dso uses but from what I keep reading it is a lot more heat and not as much stability. From what i read in various places, OCCT is the only test that actually auto-detects video stability errors.. where Kombustor and Furmark are really more you-have-to-watch-it-run tests unless you are super unstable

speaking of updated links.. that tweaktown post went downCry
at least i couldnt find it last night
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 9:27am
I though that the new Kombuster also detected?
OCCT only dectects mem errors correct? which is not an issues I know with ATI cards, maybe Fermi's to, don't know about there built in mem checking error overides.
Also furmark and ATI cards use to be, umm. well a very bad combo, lol maybe the newest furmark and ATI are fine, I do  not know, but kombuster is fine. 

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 10:44am
not sure how new kombuster is, havent gotten to play with my OC much ... when i tried it a few months ago it did not auto detect, but i may not have had the newest version

i cant find any documentation or posts that show kombuster auto detecting, but that would be easy enough to test once i get home.
it would be interesting to see, if kombuster is documenting errors now.. its report vs occt
that would be a good test to do too
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 12:28pm
ATI cards have built in memory error fixemuppers though. lol
also make sure to point out that it must be ran in ful screen mode, SLI, and crossfire only work in full screen mode.  reminds of the WOW guys bitchen about not using SLI and running in windowed mode LOLLOL
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 1:18pm
yea that was in my screenshot too, ill edit that in when i get home
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 5:31pm
updated